Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 19:00 to Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 23:59
Red Gallery and the Night Tales team will be transforming their 25,000 sq. ft. Red Market site into a scene from the back streets of Japan. taking inspiration from some of Tokyo’s best restaurants and cocktail bars, local markets and famous districts to deliver a real and authentic interpretation of the city. Tokyo Nights will take you on a tour of the buzzing metropolitan city and touch on scenes from Old Japan.
Launching on October 29th 2015 for an eight week run you can expect to see four new concept bars, eight private Ryokans (Japanese houses), all available for private hire and six new food partners serving a mix of knockout Asian and contemporary food.
The impressive entrance will be dominated by Japanese neon signs and city lights. Wire antennas and birdcages will frame the streets leading you into downtown Japan, where the flickering neon lights will form the entrance to the Love Hotel. Crumbling textures, vintage AC units and rusty balconies will set the scene. The private Love Hotel has two suites and will showcase the crazy characteristics of the world famous ‘pleasure hotels’.
Take a walk to the old part of town where the real deep rooted Japanese history can be found – bespoke signage with Japanese script, authentic distressed wood, old school extractor fans, Japanese screens, traditional wallpapers and elements of a traditional Japanese garden. You can expect to see handmade cherry blossom trees, maple trees, bamboo cladding and wisteria windows.
A giant two tiered structure will sit central to the site and this is where you’ll find the Sake Bar – perched on the first floor the Sake bar will be covered with traditional glowing lanterns. Tokyo Nights will be covered with a 100m stretch tent and heated to protect you from the winter elements.
Dates- Launch weekend: Thursday October 29th 6pm
Open fromFriday October 30th // Saturday October 31st
November - 5th, 6th, 7th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 19th, 20th, 21st, 26th, 27th and 28th
December - 3rd, 4th, 5th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 17th, 18th and 19th
Thursday 5pm – 11pm
Friday 6pm – Midnight
Saturday 6pm Midnight.
Entrance Fee: Thursdays- Free Before 7pm £3 after - & Fridays and Saturdays £5
Address: Red Market, 288 Old Street EC1V 9DP
Tokyo Nights food partners include: PATTY&BUN / BUBBLE DOG’S / NANNY BILL’S / WALTER&MONTY / DORSHI AND MORE TBC
- PATTY&BUN: Ari Gold Burger, Burger specials rotating weekly, Chips with Togarashi salt Confit chicken wings with a ponzu glaze, white sesame and chilli crust.
- BUBBLEDOGS: Sloppy Joe with bubbledogs beef chilli, cheddar cheese & chopped onions Small Eye with coriander, pickled vegetable salad with Sriracha and mayo Tokyo Drift with Japanese inspired gourmet toppings Tots tossed with nori seasoning Tots tossed with shichimi togarashi & garlic.
- NANNY BILL’S: Mac 'n' Cheese croquettes w/sriracha mayo Teppanyaki style Beef short rib in a bun with a sticky Teriyaki Sauce Chicken Katsu Chicken Burger.
- WALTER&MONTY: Beef Picanha marinated for 36 hours, cooked on coals, served rare Yakatori BBQ style chicken thighs with a spiced peanut satay dipping sauce. (Chopped down at your table by one of the WM chefs and served with char grilled seasonal vegetables, salads, flat bread and home made sauces).
- DORSHI: All Served with sliced spring onions, tamari-lime & ginger, coriander, toasted sesame seeds & crispy fried shallots. Optional sauces - Hoisin, Chilli paste, Kewpie Mayo & Black Vinegar. Steamed - Pork, Leek & Ginger, Pork, Paprika & Black Pudding Lamb, Dorset Nduja & Chives, Shiitake Mushroom, Chard- Miso & Sesame Fried - Free-range Chicken, Lime & 4 Pepper Blend Field Mushroom, Dorset Oak Smoked Red Cheddar & Spring Onion.
- HAPPY CHICKEN: Happy Chicken Kara-age –Crispy, deep-fried free-range chicken thigh marinated in ginger, garlic, sake, & soy sauce Takikomi Gohan / Mushroom Party Rice Shimeji, Shiitake, & Enoki mushrooms, carrot, burdock, crispy lotus root Prawn Tempura Kings prawns in a light & crispy batter, served with tentsuyu dipping stock.
Ritsuko&Co Supper Club: Limited dates only – Week 1 – Week 4 October 29th – Nov 21st
Founded by Tokyo-born Yoshiko Wada, who grew up in an environment of traditional culinary excellence passed down by her grandmother, Japanese cuisine has evolved from a rich culture that emphasises the importance of seasonality and quality ingredients.
At Tokyo Nights, Yoshiko and her team will be preparing an eight-course taster meal in a private Japanese dining room. Pre-bookings required.
- Salmon Sashimi: Served with chive, sesame seeds, garlic, ginger, ponzu and hot sesame oil.
- Gyu-Tataki: Beef fillet tataki served with fried garlic, spring onion and ginger ponzu.
- Iberico Pork Shabu-Shabu Salad: Served with mixed cress salad and spicy soy dressing.
- Spicy Tuna Tartar: Served on crispy rice cake with shiso & chive.
- Saikyouyaki Maki Sushi: Rolled sushi with grilled black cod, shiso and pickled ginger.
- Mixed Japanese Mushrooms Tempura: Served with Truffle Salt.
- Ebi Mayo: Marinated and fried king prawn with spicy marie rose sauce and chive
- Wagyu Scotch Egg: Served with teriyaki plum sauce.
Ramusake Supper Club Limited dates only – Week 4 – Week 8 Nov 26th – Dec 19th: For more info please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Playfully innovative, Ramusake chooses to tear up the rulebook of traditional Japanese dining re-working Japanese classics with a modern innovative twist.
At Tokyo Nights the Ramusake team will be showcasing tasters of their signature dishes including; melt-in-the-mouth beef fillet tataki with onion ponzu, asparagus with dried red miso, yuzu truffle hollandaise along side indulgent ‘junk food’ dishes like: tuna sashimi pizza and the cult-worthy chicken kara-age sliders
DRINKS: Background Bars have taken inspiration from a mixture of local Japanese bars on the Golden Gai strip to institutions like the Park Hyatt Hotel in Shinjuku and have carefully designed authentic and fresh cocktail menus exclusive to Tokyo Nights.
Golden Gai Cocktail Bar: A taste of the menu…
- Japanese 7 spice mulled cider
- The Highball
- Whiskey & Soda
- Chai infused brandy
- White Russian
- Coriander Southside
- Oolong tea infused gin, apricot and lemon sour
- Lychee Gimlet
- Lemon grass ‘Dark & Stormy'
- Japanese Manhattan with Yamazaki 12 year old
- Belsazar red vermouth
- Plum bitters
- Antica Formula
- Yuzo oils
Sake Bar On the first floor
- Apple Jalapeno
- Gin and Sake fizz
- Sake pornstar martini with sparkling sake on the side
- Collins - gin pink grapefruit lemon soda cucumber
- Ume Old Fashioned Chai infused vodka, sake, hot warm
- White Russian Japanese whiskey
- Sake and apricot jam sour
- Sake Martini with Nigori (unfiltered sake)
- Ketal one Vodka
- Maraschino Liqueur
- Rose water
- Peychauds bitters
The Music Details and music program TBC:
The collaboration bewteen Red gallery and Tales has established itself as one of the most exciting music destinations in London with some of the countries most respected DJs playing on a nightly basis. The intimate dance floor has welcomed Maribou State, Will Saul, Gorgon City, Matt Tolfrey, Rudimental, Nightmares On Wax, Kidnap Kid, Luca C, Jonny Rock, Maxxi Soundsystem, Clive Henry, Ben Pearce, Friendly Fires amongs others.
Expect a step on the line ups for Tokyo Nights this winter, with everything from London talent, today's most popular DJs tp some of the worlds legends spread across the 8 week celebration leading up to Christmas. Your need not to end when the clock strikles twelve as Tokyo Nights official after parties at Red Gallery.